Block Island's Hometown Recycling CenterHousehold Trash - Recyclables - Contractor Trash - Appliances - Electronics...and more
Block Island's Hometown Recycling Center
Our Business Hours
14 West Beach Road
P.O. Box 125
Block Island, RI 02807
Accepted Materials and Rates
In the containers bin
- Tin, aluminum and scrap metal: Aluminum and tin cans, foil, pie plates and empty aerosol canisters.
- Glass, bottles and jars: Wine, beer, liquor and soda bottles, glass water bottles and glass jars. Please remove metal lids.
- Plastic bottles and jugs: Containers up to 5 gallons, bottles (soda, shampoo, water), jugs (milk, juice, detergent), jars (mayo, peanut butter, jelly), tubs (butter, ice cream, margarine), plastic take-out containers, iced coffee cups, yogurt containers, plastic egg cartons. No plastic bags or foam containers.
- Milk cartons and drink boxes: Milk and juice cartons, juice boxes, flavored-milk boxes and cream and creamer containers.
In the paper and cardboard bin
- Mixed paper: Mail, envelopes, magazines, catalogs, phonebooks, paper bags, shredded paper, paperback books, writing and computer paper.
- Thin cardboard: Cereal boxes, show boxes, pizza boxes, paper egg containers, gift boxes and paper towel and toilet paper rolls
- Newsprint: All newspaper, advertising and inserts.
- Corrugated cardboard: All boxes and other corrugated cardboard, smooth on the outside, wavy in the middle.
We also take
- Appliances and scrap metal: Washers, dryers, refrigerators and air conditioning units.
- Auto tires and batteries
- Motor oil and oil filters
- Yard trimmings
- Construction waste
- Old bicycles
In some cases there are acceptance fees. Please see the rate schedule for fees.
- plastic bags, bags of bags or recycling inside of bags
- more than a trace of food/beverage residue
- textiles or wood
- paper shreds, napkins, tissues or paper towels
- drinking cups
- foams containers
- containers from flammable materials or oily chemicals
BIRM 2018 Price List
Bagged trash gets weighed at the scale house next to the compactor. Commercial trash gets weighed on the truck scale near the center’s exit.
|ITEMS ACCEPTED BY THE POUND|
|Trash, Demo, Brush||.15¢/LB|
|Commercial Cardboard, Metal, Recyclables||.07¢/LB|
|ITEMS ACCEPTED WITH INDIVIDUAL RATES|
|Hot Water Tanks||$10.00|
|Washers and Dryers||$10.00|
|Tire with Rim||$10.00|
|Tire Without Rim||$10.00|
|Large Microwave Oven||$10.00|
|Small Microwave Oven||$5.00|
Mattress and Box Spring Recycling
We are a Rhode Island Resource Recovery mattress and box spring recycling partner.
No cost, just drop off
The cost of mattress and box spring recycling is paid for when purchasing either in the state of Rhode Island. There is no cost for recycling when you drop off your old sleep set.
Mattress Acceptance Criteria
The state has guidelines for mattresses and box springs that can be accepted for recycling. Click HERE to read the guidelines before bringing your old sleep set for recycling.
Ditch the Bags
Stop by Block Island Recycling Management and purchase a 40 Gallon blue recycling container for your home or office. They’re only $10 and easy to transport. Or feel free to use your own container. A plastic container makes small work of storing and transporting your recyclables. And unlike bags, you won’t have sticky fingers when done. Ewww.
Recycling 101: The do’s and don’ts for recycling at B.I.R.M.
Recycle plastic containers up to 5 gallons
Exceptions: no plastic bags, foam, containers from auto fluid, paint strippers, insecticides, pesticides, herbicides, compostable cups or containers that tear or shatter.
EMPTY & RINSE
GENTLY REPLACE CAPS & LIDS
Recycle metal cans, foil and lids only
Exceptions: no foil-plastic hybrids (e.g. yogurt lids, juice pouches, chip and candy wrappers)
EMPTY & RINSE
DON’T CRUSH CANS FLAT
DO BUNCH UP FOIL
Recycle glass bottles and jars only
Exceptions: no broken bottles or jars
EMPTY & RINSE
REMOVE METAL CAPS & LIDS AND RECYCLE SEPARATELY
PAPER & CARDBOARD RULE
Recycle paper and cardboard that is mostly clean and dry only
Exceptions: no sanitary paper (e.g. napkins, tissues, paper towels) and no waterproof cardboard (e.g. fridge/freezer boxes, coffee cups)
TAPE, LABELS, STAPLES OK
DON’T BUNDLE PAPER
Read the current CHASING ARROWS newsletter from the RIRRC
It’s full of news about Rhode Island’s current recycling initiatives
We’re open to your questions and comments.
Please feel free to send us a message.
B.I.R.M. 14 West Beach Road, P. O. Box 125, Block Island, RI (401) 466-2864
Illustrations ©2016 Royal Bruce Ink